Wednesday, August 31, 2011

PEI - Saint John

Coming out of PEI and cycling of the ferry in Cariboo led me into the Pictou-region. It was already 7 in the evening and looking for a spot to pitch up the tent was iind of difficult. Someone got me on track to a terrain close to Loans Point where I could sleep in the garden of some house. Asking the route again some km further onwards got me in contact with the family of that lady. They allowed me to stay over there's place in the garden and so I did. Nice area and people. Got some beers in the evening and got ready to go up to Truro where Tom, VE1DC lived.

He invited me to come over and in short, I remained over there for three nights until the storm Irene left the area since its path was not clear and I surely didn't want to get hit by crazy amounts of wind and rain. I did some radio on HF and stuck up with 149 qso's. 12 with Belgium, 3 with Holland, 60 with the rest of the EU and 74 with America on 20 and 40 meter. Nice station, a array of 3 vertical Butternuts. On Monday I said goodbye to Beth and Tom after a good breakfast and ended up near Windsor where I probably would have slept in the city parc .. until Andrew proposed to pitch my tent in his backyard which was more safe taken into account the small crime that went on over there. I did see the high tide come in into the bay of Fundy in Old Barns , really a wave of about 2 foot high that comes inland. Really a wonderfull view.

The next day I ended up near Lawrencetown and saw Simon next to a church. I stopped and asked him if it was ok to pitch my tent up beyond the church. I was allowed to pitch my tent up in his backyard and showered since I was maybe a bit smelly ? Talked into the evening and slept until the sun dried up the moist that got the tent kind of wet.

It's becoming very clear that the summer is almost gone. The temperatures are in the 20's and in the night it's only 12 dgrs. The sun goes down around 2000 and come slowly up by 0620 hrs.

I cycled for Digby during that day and the Annapolis valley is very nice, relaxed cycling and sunny ! I got onboard the ferry to Saint John, New Brunswick by 1600 where I arrived by 1900. It costed me an astonishing 50$ for me and my bicycle ! I Hope to find a free spot to pitch up the tent tonight to compensate.

I have 10 more days to arrive in the greater Boston area where I will hopefully meet up with Dave, KD1NA with whom I spoke on HF and invited me over ! Furthermore to the south Peter N1PQ , also a bicylist got in contact with me on twitter and have been talking about the bike since and how to get it to Logan ! He already got a box ready and proposed me bringing me over to Boston. That is a great peace of mind for the end of the big journey.

I Hope to do some easy 100 km a day and cycle into the US by Campobello island. There are some bicycleroutes that go to Boston.

I also hope to be once again radioactive during the fieldday next weekend in Europe to give my clubstation ON4OSA some points and hopefully speak with Eddy ON6EF ! I think he's eager to speak with me. Good luck guys ! I already heard that there are almost 10 of you so pile it up, spread out and don't fall asleep !


  1. Good morning, good to hear that you made it through the storm ok. Also very nice to read all the open doors that you have received while cycling down east.

  2. I have really enjoyed following your postings. You may remember me, the old guy, Ronnie's 70th Adventure. We met in Northern California at the State Park with the Roosevelt Elk and then again at Gold Beach where it was raining and I bailed out for a motel and you continued on.

    I made it as far as the north east corner of Montana where the heat, sun and wind defeated me. 1,883 miles. Not too bad for an old man I guess!

    You have had quite an adventure. Thanks for sharing.