Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Niagara - Montreal

Ok, I can't make it to Newfoundland anymore this trip.
So I reconsidered taking a new route that will bring me to Prince Edwards Island or PEI.
The main reason for not being able to go there is because the lack of a ferry route from Yarmouth to Portland that went out of bussiness. Sad.
To make the tour as planned and bicycle back the whole way is no option.
Taking the train back to Boston from Halifax or so is no option either. It's a three day trip on train and all the wishwash that comes along.  Taking the bus back like Greylines or so is also a real undertaking and will bring me first back to Montreal ... and some transfers + not really cheap also .. and remember .. I got a bicycle to take back also.
The other remaining option is to rent a car and I searched some stuff and that would cost some 600+ dollar all inclusive as would a trip by plane cost me to fly back to Boston - the same as a ticket from Halifax to Schiphol ... and the ticket from Boston is already bought..
So, gonna try to remain on the cheap side and the main goal now is to spend a few days on PEI Prince Edward Island and enjoy nature over there and activate VY2 !

But, the trip until now has been really nice, relatively good weather, no accidents except the one with a matrass on the shoulder..While climbing I didn't looked very good in front of me and was looking to the map and I saw something white emerging in front of me but too late and I cycled halfway over it.. nothing broken on the frontwheel ;-) btw. it was there to be collected as trash ..

I cycled fron Niagara over the Canadian/US border (I had to make a brief stop of course) to Lake Ontario and was radioactive from Fort Niagara and worked GUIDO ON7GR, Dave KJ4MCZ, IK4DCT, Tim N5RKK, Collin KD4QFT and The World Scouts Jamboree in Sweden!! SJ22S with Phil on the radio ;-) al with 5 watts and a vertical on 20 meters.

From there I cycled on to Rochester area where I slept in the wild and in someones garage since it was really pooring down over there. From Oswego I went on to the beginning of the St. Lawrence river bu the Thousand Islands region in the direction of the Atlantic sea. Easy cycling and did an average of about 140 km a day until I reached Beauharnais, a town just before Montreal where I again was sleeping in Serges garden and could take a shower, really wet evening there.. From there it was a relaxed drive to Montreal I thaught .. not .. heavy traffic and not really good directions to find a good path into town until I found a parallel bridge where it was possible to cycle to the main Island where I stayed in the youthhostel. Very nice, safe and cool place for 2 days, right in the middle of the big city. It was since Vancouver I saw these size of skyscrapers .. Montreal is ok. I went out and saw Aliens versus Cowboys or the other way around , a really bad film except for the effects. Visiting the Olympic Parc was a good decision, nice lookout over the whole city and superb views, the old stadium - already from 1976 (so old .. o'boy) - is still intact. The bicyclearena is tranformed to a kind of animalpreservation or something.. pff .. I took the metro and did some on and off hopping. and bought , again , a new isolation matrass since the one I bought in Niagara again went bezerk..
This time I bought again a Thermarest Prolite Plus but made from another maybe more durable fabric, and more expensive ... 160 Canadian dollars .. a slam in my thight budget .. no more food for 12 days ..

I was again radioaktiv south of Montreal on 07 augustus in the afternoon at 2200 local Flemish time to work the 14345 kc net but I heard Germans on 14343 kc and a US-net on 14347 kc. No Flemish stations on there so I called cq and worked Pat KI4SVM, Arno F4DCG, KURT ON8MT, Tod N4LA and Tom KI4NSP. I didn't had the time to be active on VHF over here in Montreal maybe later on the trip.

The remainder of the month I try to cycle to Quebec and maybe meet Gregg VE2HIT and then to Riviere du Loup, and in the Province of New Brunswick (Braunschweig) : Edmunston, Grand Falls,  into the mountains again in Plaster Rock, Miramichi, Moncton and over to Prince Edward Island and then to the province of Nova Scotia by Caribouand take the ferry from Digby to Saint John in New Brunswick again. From there I'll cycle south again some 100 km to the US of A and from there it will be some 600 km to Boston by oa. Kennebunkport. Up till now I cycled 8650 horizontal kilometers and 47 vertical ones and probably will do another 2600 horizontal or so km in the next month. Hope to find some good bicycle paths like the route vert if they are not too much gravel. Fingers crossed for good weather and if somebody knows a nice place on Prince Edward Island to stay for some 2-3 days with a big beam and a shack or just a more normal place let me know !

Van CANUS4

Van CANUS4

Van CANUS4

Van CANUS4

Van CANUS4




No comments:

Post a Comment