Monday, July 11, 2011

First BPSK qso !

As I arrived in the very small town Faith, North Dakota with a population of 489 souls.. , I found a spot to pitch the tent in the public parc. Very warm weather all day long for 127 km and the water cooled me off ! I washed my clothes, ate and hung up a vertical groundplane with three elevated radials in the tree next to my tent. It worked superb to the westcoast. I worked SSB on 20 with Jeff, AB4HF,  Alan W6BAK, Shaun VE7JAM into British Columbia for the boyscouts camp over there ! , KE6RJ Harry, WB4UIC Tom and of course at 0300 utc on 14285 on sked Ken VA7IR !

I'm almost not able to make it to the westcoast on 40 meters with 5 watts. That's why I'll put up this antenna config for the next days or weeks.

When checking the twitter account in the evening I saw that there was a new app for my Android cellphone that did encode and decode bpsk. It's from Wolphi and is called Droid PSK.

I bought it and tried it out on the air on 14070 khz in the morning in my tent since it's the tour the France had a break today. I had to place the mike in front of the cellphone and the mike of the cellphone above the Yaesu but... IT WORKS ! Mike KK7H replied to my cq and gave me 469 from Huricane, Utah. I send him my references and 599 and tried to chat with him via my cellphone on the air :-) it is slow and sometimes the dictionary from the Android smartphone does stupid things but nevertheless it was a QSL 100 %.

Is doing bpsk like this a first ? I don't know, but what I do know is that I'll be cycling eastbound to Gettysburg in the next hour. CU later.


No comments:

Post a Comment