Thursday, April 14, 2011

Hamradio preps

Taking along anything more than my old faithfull Yaesu FT817nd and 10 meters RG174 with very small HF-wiredipoles would be overkill on this trip.
I was considering to take a gellbattery like I did on former trips but the factor weight vs. pleasure is too high. So I'll go along with rechargable NiMH batteries and possibly a LiPo4-pack. My D-Star portable is also staying at home, almost no gateways (luckily ;-) on the way.
Echolink and FM will be the the way to go on 2 and 70cm with a telescopic 2*5/8 and 1/2 wave antenna.
As the sunspots go up and conditions improve on HF I hope to make some SSB DX on 20/17 mtr. to Europe with the dipole. Wherever I'll have the place the dipole will be vertical and centerfed. If there's a willing HAM that let me use his shack I should be vissible on the clutser
APRS is activated using an app on the android. Should be visible wherever I got wifi or cellcoverage.




HF-conditions :
Using the nice online-tool with Voacap, it was as easy as 123 to fabricate some predictions all along the path. With QRP power it seems that QSO's are only possible from the eastcoast to the old continent on shortpad around 2000 UTC on the 20 meterband, but one never knows what the sun does... So 14306 kc. will be rather quite around 1030 locally ;-)

Fargo / Winnipeg

San Fransisco

Niagara / Buffalo
St. Johns

No comments:

Post a Comment